Saturday, February 9, 2013

Copycat DIY Cakestand

I have a little project to share today, inspired by a number of crafty DIY blogs--I am sure you will have seen this trick before. I'd been seeing these cake plates done with glass candlesticks and china plates, and while I admired the creativity, I was not moved to make my own. Then I saw some that were more my style and inspiration struck. Awhile ago, I thrifted a plain Jane wooden candle holder, took it home, and had my way with it. In other words, I spray-painted it heirloom white.


But I never loved it. And I knew it was probably headed out the door someday soon in order to make way for something that I did love. And then, a couple of weeks ago, I found this pretty plate:

I was planning to hang it on my dining room wall with some other miscellaneous china, so I didn't mind that it was well-loved, or as my husband might term it, completely cracked in several places. But when I brought it home, it didn't seem to work magic with the rest of my collection so there it sat, all forlorn, just waiting for a new purpose. And that's when I saw the other spin on homemade cake plates. A bit of glue later, my two pieces became one, and now I adore my new pedestal cake stand! I have a bit of a thing for cake stands and use them all the time, so this piece will be both pretty and functional in my home.


I really do have my own creativity, I promise you. It's just too easy to find inspiration these days, what with Pinterest (which I finally joined, after avoiding it for years--look for me!) and so many amazing blogs, books, and magazines out there. And I do love putting my own spin on things that other crafty people have come up with, so I rarely truly copy others' designs exactly. But nonetheless, I am hankering to do something all my own... and I'm working on it. I'll get to it right after I finish a few more copycat projects from Pinterest. After all, I have a lot of catching up to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment